Theresa Uncensored... Watch out world!

Friday, January 22, 2010

The Handshake

In Ghana you greet everyone you see. This has become one of my favorite things to do. I would be miserable if I didn't enjoy it because I shake people's hands about 25-50 times a day, no joke. It starts with the regular hand shake and then moves into something spectacular. You slide your hand across theirs and as you get to their finger tips you both snap your fingers against each other. This move is also done if you agree with someone, if you just feel the need to show your friendship or if you are departing from the conversation. Sometimes the snap fails and normally disappointment instantly goes across the other person's face. I have become pretty good at it and I get mad when someone doesn't try to snap my fingers because they think I am a silly Obruni (white girl).

While I was signing up for my classes the head of the Geology Department greeted me and I snapped his fingers. He told me he can feel that I am already a true Ghanian!! What a great day!

No comments:

Post a Comment